Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephan Szabo wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>Stephan Szabo wrote:
>>

>>>That really needs to be rewritten to do a single check over the table
>>>rather than running the constraint for every row.  I keep meaning to get
>>>around to it and never actually do. :(  I'm not sure that in practice
>>>you'll get a better plan at restore time depending on what the default
>>>statistics give you.
>>>

>>This is clearly a case for a statement level trigger, as soon as
>>affected rows can be identified.
>>

>Well, I think single inserts might be more expensive (because the query is
>more involved for the table joining case) using a statement level trigger,
>so we'd probably want to profile the cases.

This really depends. If a constraint is just a check on the
inserted/updated column, so no other row needs to be checked, there's no
faster way then the current row trigger. But FK constraints need to
execute a query to retrieve the referenced row, and every RDBMS prefers
to execute a single statement with many rows over many statements with a
single row, because the first will profit from optimization. And even if
only a single row is inserted or updated, there's still the need to
lookup the reference.

Regards,
Andreas

От: Stephan Szabo
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Behavior of equality_oper and ordering_oper