Re: sql99 compat list

От Shachar Shemesh
Тема Re: sql99 compat list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Shachar Shemesh <psql@shemesh.biz> writes:
>

>>Also, I think a pretty simple workaround would be to have
>>PSQL search for the upper case identifier, and if not found, search for
>>the lower case. This should allow a migration path while the tools and
>>functions are being translated (and should, perhaps, stay around forever
>>as a session option for old databases)
>>

>You're assuming that we plan to change this.  We don't.  Most of us
>prefer to look at lower-case identifiers.
>
>            regards, tom lane

While I cannot argue with personal preferences, of course, I will try to
point out two things:
1. It's an SQL incompatibility, and therefor must be documented (at the
very least).
2. It is causing pains when performing migrations from other databases

At the very least, a session option that will allow me to search for
upper case if a lowercase identifier was not found would be apretiated,
optionally with a warning (so I can track down the places in the
migrated application that are still misbehaving, and fix them).
            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant