Re: new psql \d command

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: new psql \d command
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>>

>>>It just seemed complex to figure out which operators needed parens and
>>>which didn't.
>>>

>>The fact that the first attempt was wrong doesn't improve my faith in
>>that code one bit ;-).

It was posted expressively with request for comment/review to locate
bogus/non-fail-safe assumptions. That operator thing was introduced
last-minute before feature freeze, coded late at night.

>>I don't want pg_dump invoking it, even as an option.  Someone will get burnt.
>>

>Yes, even if we get it right now, it might break in the future by a
>change somewhere else, and we may not discover the breakage until it is
>too late.

Doesn't this apply to any change?

pg_dump can be used as a kind of reverse-engineer tool, that's why
user-readability can make sense. I wonder when somebody wishes pgAdmin3
to do that for a complete db (effectively duplicating pg_dump's feature)...

Regards,
Andreas