Re: new psql \d command

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: new psql \d command
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
>>

>>>It might be a bit risky getting pg_dump to use it though?
>>>

>>I definitely don't want pg_dump using the pretty-print stuff ;-).
>>I'm neutral on whether to use it in psql's \d commands.
>>

>I thought the pretty-printing stuff was designed specifically for psql
>\d and third-party apps like pgadmin.

Yes it was, but it can be meaningful for pg_dump too.
The pretty-print stuff will inflate the dump with many spaces which
doesn't make any sense with formats not meant to be read by humans,
(--format=c), but --format=p output might well be used for user editing.
So IMHO an option to enable pretty-dump can be useful.

Regards,
Andreas