Re: logging stuff

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: logging stuff
Дата
Re: logging stuff  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Not quite the same - timestamps and pids have known formats, while db
names are almost arbitrary. I know including spaces in names is horrible
to my *nix way of thinking, but others might not have my prejudices.
(interesting question - what characters are NOT allowed in a database
name?).

BTW, we're talking about 5 extra chars per line here. I know it adds up,
but these days disk space is cheap and plentiful - for a million log
lines we're still only talking 5Mb (says he whose first machine had a
whopping 20Mb of disk space, and who paid hundreds of (aussie) dollars
for the extra 10 Mb.)

Syslog puts [] around pids, and typically has a lot of redundancy.

I'm prepared to be guided by concensus, though.

cheers

andrew