Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)

От DeJuan Jackson
Тема Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 09:25, scott.marlowe wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Gogulus wrote:

As the clients should be able to work without network connection, they
have to have a local database, and if net connection is on, do the
synchronization with master db. The main idea is, sale cannot stop
because of net connection breakage.

That's why I am asking if 100 Mhz of CPU, 32 Mbytes of RAM can take care
of a database with around 100 tables, 3-4 of these tables having
50-60000 of records, others have at most 1000.
I would say yes, but I would also say that you should design this around a
character based interface.  The overhead of a GUI is gonna make it much
slower.

I don't know if you're familiar with the ncurses library, but that's what
I'd use, along with C or a lightweight scripting language like Perl or
PHP.
Or Python, which has an excellent curses library.

How could he do local and remote access in PHP?  Wouldn't a local
Apache server (which takes more RAM) be necessary?

Also regarding PHP, "links" is a great text-mode web browser that
handles style sheets and frames.

PHP has a command line version, and it's own GTK.

I write all my processing scripts in PHP to leverage all the function and classes I've writting for the web.