Re: concurrent writes

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: concurrent writes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 29 Jul 2003 at 12:48, Andreas Jung wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 12:42, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 2003 at 12:33, Andreas Jung wrote:
> > > we are running Postgres 7.3.3 successfully on our portal sites
> > > under Solaris. For a new project we have the requirement that
> > > N processes need to write update/insert within the same time and within
> > > the same transaction data in one table.
> >
> > What does it mean by same transaction data?
>
> should read "update/insert within the same time and within the same
> transaction in one table"

So you want to update same table more than once in a single transaction? That
should work..

> > >More detailed: every process
> > > opens its own connection, starts a transaction, updates *different* rows
> > > and then commits. According to our postgres adminstrator, Postgres seems
> > > to behave differently on Linux and Solaris. Any ideas on that?
> >
> > How it is different? It should be same, right?
>
> Our experience was that the complete table has been locked (Solaris)
> but row-level locking was working with Linux.

Whoa!! That's something. How did you conclude it is locked. If you can produce
some reproducible test case, this would be a big showstopper bug..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
flannister, n.:    The plastic yoke that holds a six-pack of beer together.        --
"Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends