Encrypted data.

От Ben Clewett
Тема Encrypted data.
Дата
Re: Encrypted data.  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Список pgsql-novice
Dear Novice,

I notice from section 4.28 of
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/pgsql/doc/FAQ that encrpytion of
data within PostgreSQL is only possible by using an encrypted file
system.  I belive?

In order to protect our distributed database from it's own users, we
have a requirement to encrypt the data in the system, or by some other
means make the content unreadable.

I'm looking into finding some system for in-line coding and uncoding of
non-index fields, hopefully from clear text to same-length ascii text,
so that VARCHAR(n) can remain the same.

Firstly I was wondering whether there are any plans for this to be
included in the distribution at a low-level, so that I don't have to
code my application to do this, and therefore keys may be encrypted yet
remain correctly ordered etc.   If anybody knows, I would be interesting
in knowing, and would be interested in helping if at all possible.

Secondly, has anybody had experience with these issues, and can suggest
another acceptable way of protecting the data by making it unreadable /
unavailable to all?

Thanks for your help again,

Ben.