Re: index / sequential scan problem

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: index / sequential scan problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 17 Jul 2003 at 14:50, Fabian Kreitner wrote:

> At 14:34 17.07.2003, you wrote:
> >I expect you will find that the third query is also a lot faster that the
> >first query.
>
> Im afraid, no.
> Database has been stopped / started right before this.
>
> perg_1097=# set enable_seqscan to true;
> SET VARIABLE
> perg_1097=# EXPLAIN ANALYZE    select  notiz_id, obj_id, obj_typ
> perg_1097-#      from    notiz_objekt a
> perg_1097-#      where not exists

Well, he said query and not the query plan...:-)

While explain analyze is great for judging what is happening, it's not always a
good idea to trust the numbers produced by it. It will probably produce same
number for a SCSI disk machine and for a IDE disk machine, everything else
being equal. Obviously that is not correct.

Only thing you can trust in explain analyze is it's plan. Numbers are based on
heuristic and should be taken as hint only.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:    Experience is directly proportional to
the amount of equipment ruined.

Сообщение: Re: index / sequential scan problem
Сообщение: Re: index / sequential scan problem