Re: Hardware performance

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Hardware performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Adam Witney wrote:
> Actually I am going through the same questions myself at the moment.... I
> would like to have a 2 disk RAID1 and a 4 disk RAID5, so need at least 6
> disks....
>
> Anybody have any suggestions or experience with other hardware manufacturers
> for this size of setup? (2U rack, up to 6 disks, 2 processors, ~2GB RAM, if
> possible)

I tend to use either 1U or 4U servers, depending on the application. But
I've had good experiences with IBM recently, and a quick look on their
site shows the x345 with these specs:

•  2U, 2-way server delivers extreme performance and availability for
demanding applications
•  Up to 2 Intel Xeon processors up to 3.06GHz with 533MHz front-side
bus speed for outstanding performance
•  Features up to 8GB of DDR memory, 5 PCI (4 PCI-X) slots and up to 6
hard disk drives for robust expansion
•  Hot-swap redundant cooling, power and hard disk drives for high
availability
•  Integrated dual Ultra320 SCSI with RAID-1 for data protection

This may not wrap well, but here is the url:

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=-840&storeId=1&categoryId=2559454&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73

Handles 6 drives; maybe that fits the bill?

Joe