Re: case sensitivity

От Shachar Shemesh
Тема Re: case sensitivity
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

>See also the example and footnote at the end of section 1.1.1 of our
>documentation:
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS
>(not sure why the link to the footnote doesn't work in that version, but
>the footnote is at the bottom of the page).
>
>There has been some talk of providing an alternate mode in which
>unquoted identifiers are folded per spec, but this seems likely to
>break enough code that no one has really wanted to do it.  My guess
>is that we will remain intentionally non compliant on this point
>forever.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Just so we are clear what's at stake here.

I am trying to perform a migration to PG-SQL for some company. They
already support access, MS-SQL and Oracle, and want to support PG-SQL as
well. The problem is that the application is MFC, and CRowSet opens the
table double-quoting identifiers. The application itself does not. All
databases carry all identifiers in allcaps. As some of the ODBC code is
outside the specific application's control, I cannot tell them to "quote
or unquote all statements". This may drop the whole project, which would
be a real shame.

Documenting this incompatibility is fine as far as it goes, but it does
not cover the migration very well.

Also something to ponder is this. When I run psql on Debian Sid, and I do:
create table "Test" ();
select * from table;

The query runs fine! It seems that PG-SQL 7.3.3. on Linux (at least the
Debian version) treats unquoted as case independant. Am I missing
something? Why can't I set a "compatibility" flag for the DB?

                Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant