Re: can multiple vacuums gain speed?

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: can multiple vacuums gain speed?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2 Jul 2003 at 16:17, Mats Kling wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have a big trouble with a database and hope you can help out on how to
> improve the time vacuum takes.
>
> The database grovs to ~60Gb and after a 'vacuum full' it's ~31Gb, after
> about a week the database it up to 55-60Gb again and i have to do a
> 'vacuum alalyze full'  to gain disk (the disk is 70Gb so I'm living on
> the edge here ;(
> I have a maintenancewindow once a week but vacuuming this database takes
> around 10-14 hours and I really wanna cut that time down.
> Since the disk is >85% full i tried to vacuum table by table instead of
> doing the whole database and my feeling was that i think I gained a
> speedup if I vacuumed the tables that takes most disk first (so the rest
> of the tables have more disk to work on)..
> can this be true or was it just a feeling?

I know this is a very late reply but it might be of some help.

1. What is nature of your updates/deletes? Do you have many deletes or few
updates or other way round.

2. Have you tried using pgavd?

If your load involves lot's of updates, pgavd can definitely help you.

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Bumper sticker:    All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest
British manufacture.