Re: dropping sequences

От Erik Price
Тема Re: dropping sequences
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm just getting around to dropping the sequence on my table (after a
hiatus)...

> I would expect that you would first need to
>
> ALTER TABLE ... COLUMN ... DROP DEFAULT
>
> to remove the dependency on the sequence. Then drop sequence should work.

That doesn't seem to work, strangely -- I've executed the following command:

ALTER TABLE news ALTER COLUMN news_id DROP DEFAULT

Fine, and now my table looks like this:

be_db=# \d news;
Table "public.news"
+-[ RECORD 1 ]----------------------------+
| Column    | news_id                     |
| Type      | integer                     |
| Modifiers | not null                    |
+-[ RECORD 2 ]----------------------------+
| Column    | news_date                   |
| Type      | timestamp without time zone |
| Modifiers | not null                    |
+-[ RECORD 3 ]----------------------------+
| Column    | expire_date                 |
| Type      | date                        |
| Modifiers | not null                    |
+-[ RECORD 4 ]----------------------------+
| Column    | news_title                  |
| Type      | character varying(64)       |
| Modifiers | not null default ''         |
+-[ RECORD 5 ]----------------------------+
| Column    | news_info                   |
| Type      | text                        |
| Modifiers | not null                    |
+-[ RECORD 6 ]----------------------------+
| Column    | user_id                     |
| Type      | integer                     |
| Modifiers | not null                    |
+-----------+-----------------------------+
Indexes: news_pkey primary key btree (news_id)
Foreign Key constraints: $1 FOREIGN KEY (user_id) REFERENCES
users(user_id) ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON D
ELETE NO ACTION

But when I try to drop the sequence altogether:

be_db=# DROP SEQUENCE news_news_id_seq;
ERROR:  Cannot drop sequence news_news_id_seq because table news column
news_id requires it
         You may drop table news column news_id instead

Anybody have a suggestion?  I just want to remove these sequences from
the database altogether.  Am I going to have to drop the news_id column
altogether?

Erik