Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 25 Jun 2003 at 14:55, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Well, correct solution is to implement tablespaces on which objects like
> > databases, tables and indexes can be put.
>
> I have started working on tablespaces (to the extent that I am capable!),
> based not on the rejected patch, but on Jim's eventual syntax proposal that
> was never developed.

Hmm... Remember feature freeze is 1st of July. So unless you send out a
minimally working patch before that, it won't be considered for 7.4.

> CREATE LOCATION blah AS '/exports/indexes'
>
> CREATE DATABASE db WITH LOCATION loc;
>
> CREAT TABLE foo (a PRIMARY KEY LOCATION blah) LOCATION blah;
>
> ..etc...
>
> > There was a long discussion on this and there was a tablespaces patch. It
> was
> > agreed that tablespace as a set of directories would be a good point to
> start.
>
> If anyone wants to help me (as I've not had time to code on it for a while
> due to phpPgAdmin), then they can email
> me!
>
> I'm working from a top-down perspective - eg. adding new catalog and grammar
> and support functions before mucking about with low level storage...

I would love to hack this one. Especially putting WAL in a location that is
configurable, I mean PG knowing where to find it's WAL.

If you complete the syntactic part, I guess a very very rough patch should be
possible before feature freeze but that is way tooooooo optimistic.

Besides I don't know what core thinks about introducing such a feature right
now. I think it would be a tough sell at this point of time..

ByeShridhar

--
Virtue is a relative term.        -- Spock, "Friday's Child", stardate 3499.1