Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> At 12:33 AM 6/23/2003 -0500, nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
>> >
>> > Oh, you mean like "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field ~* 'nolan';"?
>>
>>No, I mean as in "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = 'nolan';"
>>
>>That will match values with any combination of upper and lower case
>>letters that fold to 'nolan':  'Nolan', 'NOLAN', etc.
>
> For me that's a matter of taste. I prefer to use = for case sensitive and
> lower(field)=lower('data') for case insensitive. I wonder if there is a
> difference between using lower vs upper for case insensitivity but I've
> never bothered to look deeply into it.

In some character sets there might be. The German sz-ligature for
example has no upper case equivalent, and in turkish the upper cases of
i and y with two dots are exchanged.

I prefer your example too and since we have functional indexes, it
doesn't affect performance at all.

Jan

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread