[Fwd: pgadmin3 clientencoding]

От Andreas Pflug
Тема [Fwd: pgadmin3 clientencoding]
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
The current implementation of client encoding selection seems not
satisfying to me, but since I haven't worked with client encoding so far
I'm not sure and thus I'm asking you.

Currently, the client encoding can be selected using the "Options"
dialog, and will be active for the *next* connection established; either
a server freshly connected using the tree or a SQL Window of View Data.
This probably is not what the user expects; instead he'd wish to have it
active *immediately*.

Additionally, I wonder if there's an individual client encoding
necessary for tree display; I believe it's sufficient for it to be
Unicode to support all possible encodings. Think of a situation where
one SQL_ASCII and one EUC_JP database are residing on the same server.
Because there's no way to convert back and forth, it's not possible to
display the second database if the first is retrieved using its native
encoding.

Do we really need special encodings, besides unicode? If so, this should
be implemented on a tree node (Server property: client encoding) to make
it possible to let the change of encoding have immediate effect, or as
the "System Object" setting is implemented.

Regards,
Andreas