Re: Postgresql on SUN Server

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: Postgresql on SUN Server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 27 May 2003 at 15:05, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 12:07:06PM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > I wonder if that's a performance issue with Solaris and shared memory that
> > isn't a problem with BSD or Linux on Sparc Hardware?
>
> I wonder that, also.  I haven't had a chance to try it out.
>
> The problem in our case is that we couldn't use Linux or BSD anyway,
> because we need the 8- and 10-way scalability we have, and we need
> the cleverness about disabling processors, &c., that's built into
> Solaris.  So even if Solaris is the problem, we're stuck.

I have no experience on solaris or SMP machines so just putting a hypothesis..

You may still run linux on a 8-10 way sparc. With O(1) patches available for
2.4 series, it should scale much more gracefully than earlier. It may not touch
solaris in scalability and fine grained resource control like disabling a
processor, but all in all, might be faster in performance vis-a-vis solaris.

At least it doesn't hurt trying if you can spare time and resources. Many
people say that linux outperform solaris on 1way/2way machines. If you could
find out what happens at 8 way, it would be great..:-)

Bye
 Shridhar

--
H. L. Mencken's Law:    Those who can -- do.    Those who can't -- teach.Martin's
Extension:    Those who cannot teach -- administrate.