Re: constraint with reference to the same table

От Rudi Starcevic
Тема Re: constraint with reference to the same table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Stephan,

Thanks also - I'm actually building a new database as I write this so this topic is perfect timing for me.

I'm using ref. integrity right now mostly for many-to-many type situations.

For example.
I create a table of People,
then a table of Business's,
then I need to relate many people to many business's.

So I create a business_people table *with* index's to the referred to tables
Eg:
CREATE TABLE business_people
(
b_p_id serial PRIMARY KEY,
b_id integer REFERENCES business ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE NOT NULL,
p_id integer REFERENCES people   ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE NOT NULL
);
CREATE  INDEX b_p_b_id_idx ON  business_people (b_id);
CREATE  INDEX b_p_p_id_idx ON  business_people (p_id);

The b_id and p_id are primary key's in other table's so they have an index too.

So far I think I've done every thing right.
Can I ask if you'd agree or not ?

As a side note when I build my PG database's I do it 100% by hand in text.
That is I write Create table statements, save them to file then cut'n'paste them into phpPgAdmin or use PSQL.
So the code I have below is the same code I use build the DB.
I wonder if this is OK or would make other PG user's gasp.
I'm sure most database people out there, not sure about PG people, would use some sort of GUI.

Thanks kindly
I appreciate your time guy's.
Regards
Rudi.