Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris)

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mike Castle wrote:

>First I added a counter to the compare function, and the most cases, the
>glibc implementation was called significantly less often than the BSD
>compare function.

Interesting - all examples I tried had glibc compare count higher, do
you want to post one of yours?

>In a simple test function, like comparing two ints, then yes, the BSD
>implementation was faster.  But in a more complex function, say comparing
>strings, often times the glibc version was faster.  Why?  Because the
>time spent in the compare function became the overwhelming factor.

Considering strings is a good point - I went away and tried some
examples,  unfortunately I only managed to see BSD faster, but the
difference was not as large as in the integer tests.

regards

Mark

От: "Ron Mayer"
Сообщение: Re: dump/restore to 7.4devel giving "[archiver (db)] error returned by PQputline"
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: dump/restore to 7.4devel giving "[archiver (db)] error returned by PQputline"