Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris)

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dennis Gearon wrote:

>The trend has been approx:
>
>    On Linux
>        BSD qsort is 30-55% faster on average.
>    On Non Liux
>        BSD qsort it 50-90% on average.
>
>This kind of says that Linux is doing something right in the kernal,
>outdoing mainframe software in this sort of thing.

The difference may be due to GNU and HP using different qsort algorithm
tweeks. Consider :

+ HPUX vs BSD  - very different for random*mod, close for i / (ITEMS /
mod).
+ Linux vs BSD - reasonably different for all 4 cases.

(Only way to tell would be to eyeball HP's qsort code...I am not sure if
thats possible)

regards

Mark