Re: Looking at PostgreSQL as alternative to MS SQL Server

От Ben Clewett
Тема Re: Looking at PostgreSQL as alternative to MS SQL Server
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Josh Berkus wrote:

> There are all sorts of reasons not to use ASP, but lack of PostgreSQL
> compatibility isn't one of them.  You can use ASP + pgODBC if you like.

Josh,

I am interested to know why you consider ASP not worth it?

I have never yet used this, I like c++ for CGI coding as it's fast,
secure if correctly used and powerful.  It also takes a long time to
code and my be buggy.

With increased performance in OS platforms available, and the ability to
cast much of the processing into PostgreSQL procedures, I have been
looking into ASP.NET (with Npgsql), which although a little slow, and
seems to turn a thin client Browser into a thick client Javascript
encyclopaedia:  It does seem to have the ability to quickly produce
relatively bug free code which presents it self well.  Which is a
commercial environment can be deceptively inviting.

Or maybe this is like the Greek Mythological Sirens.  The song of
Microsoft calling programmers to steer their projects towards their
beautiful singing, only to smash their applications against the rocks
with the loss of all life...