Re: pgadmin3 query tools

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: pgadmin3 query tools
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
efesar wrote:

>Dave,
>
>The Query Builder is based on an MDI Parent/Child structure. The parent is a
>frame, so I don't think it can be bound to any other windows. So that might
>be a problem. We might consider going the opposite way, and I can add the
>icons and functionality of the query tool to the Query Builder. Don't know
>for sure, let me know if you have ideas there.
>
>-Keith

Hi Keith,

Uh, I hate MDI. You're using it at the moment to keep tables and views,
and MDI looks quite reasonable for this (actually, the first time MDI
looks good for me). I don't see how the sql input field should be
assembled into the existing query builder, unless the second notebook
page is used; I really wouldn't like that. Actually, I INSIST that the
query window as it is now (on top query, below result) is somehow
retained. Explicitely I don't like the edit window to become a MDI
child. I'll sound quite harsh about this, but this part of pgadmin2 was
the trigger for me to jump into pgadmin3, and if that feature is spoiled
or degraded I'll be really upset.

Nevertheless, there are other ways. I can think of an additional window
(some kind of assistant, as MS would call it), that can be opened, and
which will inject the query into the query execution window (directly
executing or pasted into the editor).
Another way would be to extract the lower part (notebook, listview and
messages) into an isolated control, making it reusable Then we would
have two query tools, targeted to quite different users. To hide this
fact, the used sql tool could be selected from "options"
(standard/advanced).

(btw keith: checking for relowner > 1 in dlgAddTableView will hide all
my tables... check for system namespace instead)

Regards,