character coding problems

От Jean-Christian Imbeault
Тема character coding problems
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
I have an EUC-JP database. I haven't had any problems retrieving
japanese data from it until today.

The problem I have is with the following string.

北品川5−5−19

(it may not be obvious but the numbers are double-byte(width) and so are
the hyphens).

When I retrieve the string in Java and print it out I get the following:

北品川5?5?19

The double-byte(width) hyphen prints out as a "?". I am assuming that
this a problem with unicode not recognizing the double-width hyphen?

What is the proper way to get around this problem?

Thanks!

Jean-Christian Imbeault