JDBC driver, PGSQL 7.3.2 and accents characters

Hi,

I've nice problems with the jdbc driver. I've tried with the jdbc2,
jdbc, latest stable and also development release.
I've a database in postgres with some varchar fields. The database is
SQL_ASCII as char encoding. In that varchar fields I've stored also
names with accents such è, à, ì etc... They work fine using the psql
program, and also linking tables to access through the odbc driver. But
when I try to use jdbc to connect to database my accents fail to load.
For example I have the string 'Forlì Sud'. When I try to
system.out.println this string catched by jdbc with rs.getString, I see
this string instead of the original one: 'Forl?ud'.
I've tried also to use different character sets in the connection url
like ISO-8859-1, UNICODE, WIN, SQL_ASCII but didn't change anything.

Please help me, because this bug makes java and jdbc pretty unusable to
connect pgsql databases.

Bye, Romaz