Re: Cross-Platform development

От Martin Neuss
Тема Re: Cross-Platform development
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
hello john,
i am new to sql-databases and web-publishing.
i´ve already thought of using a web-browser as an interface to my
database system. but when i want to have full control over my data and
my application i assume that i have to write a stand-alone application
or at least to use applets.
you see i i have some very special menues in my database (hierarchic,
need to supply additional data when selecting entries, ...). i don´t
know very much of html or xml but as much as i know these features are
not supported by any web publishing standard.

thus - to get most control over data, interface (and speed) - i want to
write a cross-plattform application or at least an applet as interface
to my dbms.

greetings mn

> (Please be patient, I am not an expert)
>
> I am curious why you are developing an application that actually runs
> on the machine, instead of using a webbrowser? You probably have some
> very specific reasons for this, but I am still curious. I am just a
> beginning developer, but to me not having to install anything on the
> clients workstations are pretty nice, avoids a lot of the crashes,
> etc. Also so portable.
>
> Another guy I have spoken with has a database product that many
> companies use; they used to use an actual application, but have since
> moved to only browser support. And for the most part- there are
> always exceptions- they don't have to do too much to make sure that
> the Mac users can also use the browser just fine.
>
> I see a lot of benefits and negatives on both sides of the equation.
>

> John Chapman

Сообщение: Re: Cross-Platform development
Сообщение: Re: Cross-Platform development