Re: How to notice column changes in trigger

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: How to notice column changes in trigger
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Andreas,
>

>>1) update test set a=0 -> trigger does its work
>>2) update test set a=0, b=1, c=2 -> trigger does nothing
>>3) update test set a=0, b=b, c=c -> trigger does nothing, but content of
>>a and b dont change either although touched
>>

>>IF OLD.b=NEW.b will not work, case 3) will falsely execute the trigger
>>code.
>>

>I still don't get why you'd want to do this.   Can you provide are real-world
>example where there is a difference between setting B=B and not updating B?

I do.
It's about tracking changing user and timestamp. Normally, all inserts
and updates won't touch the b and c columns, and they are handled using
triggers and/or default values.But sometimes, I'd like to update some
columns (other than b or c) WITHOUT having changed b or c. This could
happen for some import tasks, for example. In this case, the
user/timestamp from the exporting database should be replicated, not
altered. In other cases, some maintenance procedure should calculate a
column different from b and c, which would lead to timestamp set to lets
say midnight, and the user to "serviceProcess" which would destroy the
original data. In this case, I'd set b and c to the original data.
That's the way I can handle this with MSSQL.