Write ahead logging

От Matthias Meixner
Тема Write ahead logging
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi

I am doing some performance testing using postgresql. When measuring the
latency of commit I got some results, which make me doubt, if the logging
data is written to disk in time:

Using a slow disk (5400rpm) I measured about 3-5 ms for a commit. But
average rotational delay is already higher for that disk (5.5ms).
So the question is: has anybody verified, that the log is written to disk
before returning from commit?

System used was:

Linux 2.4.20
filesystem: ext3