Re: Importing Postgres 7.1.1 DBs into Postgres 7.3.2

От Adam Bultman
Тема Re: Importing Postgres 7.1.1 DBs into Postgres 7.3.2
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

>Have you run hardware diagnostics lately?  More and more often, when
>we see reports like this, bad RAM or bad disk cables or something like
>that proves to be the cause.  PG itself is not prone to gradually
>corrupt data.

The box doesn't seem to be having any obvious issues, really.  It
doesn't crash, doesn't have runaway processes, and as of monday, had no
failed RAID drives. DMESG doesn't show any disk errors, either.

>Once you've stabilized your hardware, a PG update would be a good thing
>to think about; but it's not going to solve hardware problems.

Done.  I've got a version of pg7.3.2 running along side the old one now,
and I've been tinkering.

>As for identifying schema compatibility problems, two suggestions:
>1. Make a schema-only dump first, and find out what you have to correct
>by loading that.  Transfer the data separately.

Don't know how, but I managed to 'fix' things enough to get my data in
correctly (no errors).

>2. Use 7.3's pg_dump against the older server to make the dump file.
>It can take care of some of the simpler compatibility issues for

This actually helped a lot, believe it or not.

However, I guess one question remains.
Will there be a speed increase, or decrease, with regards to selects,
blah blah blah?  Things seem to take a while longer on the new system;
maybe it's a result of running two versions of PG on the same system,
and that some of my programs are pretty hard-hitting.  But I'm worried
that some of these programs will take too long.

Adam