Re: Configuring postmaster to use all available memory

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Configuring postmaster to use all available memory
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Joe,

Have you looked into tuning the postgresql.conf file?

It's the one in the PostgreSQL data directory.  The exact settings
needed depend on your situation, but by taking some time you'll be able
to figure out decent values.

Bruce Momjian has written a document that goes into the theory behind
it, and gives good ideas:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/hw_performance/

Also, there is a lot of discussion about this on the PostgreSQL
"Performance" mailing list so it would be useful to check through the
mailing list archives for this.

Hope that helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Joe Tomcat wrote:
> Hello Psqlers,
>
> I have noticed that postmaster usually doesn't take up that much
> memory.  I'm glad it is coded for efficiency, but, I have it running on
> a dedicated machine which does absolutely nothing more than allow me to
> log in via ssh and run postmaster.  I want postmaster to consume
> basically all available RAM, so any query which is a read (not an
> updating query) shouldn't have to touch disk at all.  Is there a way to
> do this?  I looked at the -B option, and set it as -B 1024 but it didn't
> seem to do much.  Should I crank it further up, or are there other
> things to do?
>
> Thanks!

- Indira Gandhi