Cygwin postmaster.pid solution?

От Jon V
Тема Cygwin postmaster.pid solution?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
OK, I know this has been asked before. I've been reading archives from
various lists going back to 2001 dealing with this problem.
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding anything I know how to
actually apply as a solution.

PostgreSQL 7.3 running under cygwin on either an NT4.0 or Win2K machine.
If the system shuts down abnormally, the file postmaster.pid is left in
the $PGDATA directory. When the system boots back up, PostgreSQL fails
to start because of that file.

What do I do?  Reading through archives, it seems as though various
solutions have been proposed. I can think of a couple easy solutions for
a unix box, and if I was running unix I wouldn't be writing this... but
unfortunately we aren't to that stage yet.

I don't know how to set up a boot script that runs before the services
start loading... except possibly to set up another service that is a
script run under a servany type program, set up so that the postmaster
service is dependent upon it. When postmaster loads the first time, this
other service would load first and clear out the pid and go into a long
sleep. I don't like that solution, but I'm about to try it...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
  Jon