Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility

От Luke Lonergan
Тема Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
We would help if we do it in an open pgfoundry project.

Bizgres?

- Luke

Msg is shrt cuz m on ma treo
-----Original Message-----
From:     Josh Berkus [mailto:josh@agliodbs.com]
Sent:    Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:08 PM Eastern Standard Time
To:    Jonah H. Harris
Cc:    pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; Andrew Sullivan
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade: downgradebility

Jonah,

> I don't think I've seen anyone actually propose a design and state
> they were going to work on it (at least until 8.3)... so it's funny
> that I'm trying to follow the new, "keep the community informed"
> policy and yet everyone is still not happy enough.

Ooops, didn't mean to start a which-hunt.  To be fair, I e-mailed Denis
about the project before it came up here, and he didn't respond (still
hasn't).

The current pgFoundry project is fine if this is going to be some
proprietary code which EDB is going to drop on the community.  However,
that runs a significant risk of major design issues which will cause the
project to never be used, and to be replaced with something else.  Even
the name of the pgFoundry project, as proposed, pretty much prohibits
serious contributions from anyone else: it's "EnterpriseDB Migrator",
not "pg_upgrade".

So I think the thing to decide is whether this is EDB freeware or a real  community OSS effort.  I think that we'll be
happyto have either, but
right now it's in some grey area.

--Josh Berkus

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to
majordomo@postgresql.orgso that your      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility
Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility