Re: postmaster does not shutdown

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: postmaster does not shutdown
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
John Smith wrote:
> Oh, OK. Shouldn't be too difficult figuring out how to get the service
> working.
>
> Just curious - what are the future plans for PostgreSQL on Windows? I've
> seen posts about a native port for 7.4. The cygwin/ipc page also states
> that ipc-daemon is deprecated and exists only for PG, and that PG will
> probably use another method (standard cygwin?) in the future.

Good question.  The main PostgreSQL effort will have PostgreSQL 7.4
running natively on Windows when it's released, without cygwin being
needed at all.  The original work was done by a company called
PeerDirect as part of their developing a Windows native PostgreSQL 7.2.1
variant called UltraSQL.  They have donated the source code and changes
they did for this to the PostgreSQL Community.

That doesn't in any way mean that PostgreSQL 7.4 will stop working with
cygwin though, it just means that there are now 2 options for running
PostgreSQL on 7.4.

The testing that's been done on the PeerDirect beta of their PostgreSQL
variant was showing 2 to 3 times the transaction throughput of the
cygwin version of PostgreSQL 7.2.1, so there looks to be some advantages
to this approach.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift