Re: Have a PG 7.3.1 Windows (cygwin) easy installer... now

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Have a PG 7.3.1 Windows (cygwin) easy installer... now
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
>>No real stress there, as I'm really sure the pgAdmin team and
>>yourself
>>will be able to give pointers on how to make that work properly.  :)
 >
> Step 1 is use an MSI compliant setup package.

Ok, do you have any recommendations?  Using M$ Visual <anything> isn't
an option, but am willing to look at alternatives.

 > Step 2 is then extremely
> easy. There are a number of advantages to this including:
>
> 1) DLL conflicts are handled properly by the installer service.
> 2) Installations can be properly rolled back in case they fail.
> 3) Installation patches can be created.
> 4) The base package can be built as a merge module which can then be
> included in any other setup program for seamless integration, and a
> guaranteed correct installation.

These sound like worthwhile things to cater for.

> Point 4 here is very important. If people want to include PostgreSQL in
> their application (which is surely what we want?), all they need do is
> include the merge module in their own setup. This is how pgAdmin
> installs psqlODBC. The stup builder doesn't need to know how PostgreSQL
> installs and therefore doesn't have to re-write his own version of the
> installer, and risk getting it wrong. It also means that the installer
> service can correctly handle the installation of a PostgreSQL-included
> package onto a system that already has PostgreSQL installed.

Am curious as to whether packaging solutions other than MSI use merge
modules.  Any idea?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift