Re: temporary tables

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: temporary tables
Дата
Re: temporary tables  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> If you create a LOCAL TEMPORARY table, it will be automatically deleted
> at the end of the transaction.  Also, in 7.3, temporary table data will
> _not_ be synced/forced to disk like ordinary tables, though disk will
> still be used as backing store for the table.  You can drop them
> manually too.
>
> Greg Stark wrote:
>
>>I've always avoided using temporary tables for OLTP applications because I was
>>afraid the rapid creating and deleting of temporary data would limit
>>scalability.

Forgive me if I'm wrong Bruce, but I thought the LOCAL option
was WRT session visbility, not lifetime. IOW, all TEMP tables
exist until dropped or until the end of session, not
transaction. And LOCAL vs. GLOBAL determines visibility in other
  sessions. Wasn't the point of Gavin's patch for ON COMMIT DROP
that got bumped to 7.4 to have the DBMS drop TEMP tables at TX
commit?

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com