Re: Oracle rant

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Oracle rant
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<snippage>

>   The Oracle system stops from time to time because of various arcane
> reasons. You get the error message, look it up on alltheweb.com, and
> fix it. The whole system is bogus. It DEMANDS a full time DBA.
> PostgreSQL does not.

I could be accused of being cynical here (gosh)... but I think thats the
whole idea - (hook'em with product and leverage "consulting" or "expert
dba"..). One could be excused for thinking that "its all about money".

<extra rant>
Once upon a time I did the Oracle 7.3 certification thing , however I
subsequently I feel that I really dont *need* to buy into this "Dba
Guild" mentality that the whole business seemed to be about (i.e. arcane
little "need to know" things that trap all but the initiated... and of
course certification is all about *being* the initiated...oh...and...
maybe the exam fees help perpetuate this thing too...).
</extra rant>

Thanks to you guys for providing the opportunity to share this  ;-)

Mark