PostgreSQL and Data warehousing question

От Justin Clift
Тема PostgreSQL and Data warehousing question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi everyone,

Just had this question asked of us through the Advocacy site's "request"
form:

***********

We are in the process of evaluating an alternative platformm for our
data warehouse environment.  We currently use Oracle 9i and are thinking
about going to Microsoft SQL Server 2000,

1) Is a DW environment an appropriate use of PostgreSQL?  We also use
standard DW tools that we would want to continue to use.

2) Could we continue to use our Informatica Power Center suite of tools
to peform our ETL processes?, and are their 'hooks' available for
Informatica?

We would also want to continue to use our data modeling tool, ErWin, to
create the DDL to build our DW tables.  Will this DDL work with
PostgreSQL?  And we can't leave out the BI layer.  Would be able to use
our standard BI tools, i.e. Power Analyzer, Crystal, Cognos, etc.?

If you know of anyone that has replaced their current SQL Server 2000
environment or Oracle environment I would appreciate references.  Thank You.

***********

Does anyone here have experience with Data Warehousing, and be able to
give some advice as to PostgreSQL's suitability for it in regards to
this?  Am asking here as I have no clue of the answer(s) other than
PostgreSQL does work with Crystal Reports, and hoping people can assist.

The person who emailed us sounded like they might not want it known that
they're looking at alternatives, that why his name and email haven't
been included.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift