Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create
Дата
Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
<snip>
> I can get access to several boxes with Solaris 8 + gcc 2.95 ( maybe not
> right-up-to-the minute latest patches, but fairly recently patched).
>
> They are firewalled off from the internet with abolutely no chance of
> external access, but I can build whatever is required ( Pg 7.3.1 is
> already installed from source) and upload it to techdocs.postgresql.org
> (or similar).
>
> ...I've never tried to create a Solaris package so I will need answers
> to all the usual dumb questions - including what extra configure options
> are required as I've been building with *none*  :-)

That's cool.  Making Solaris packages is pretty easy, and all of the
files that might be tricky have already been created.  The compilation
notes taken whilst making the Solaris 8 Intel packages are at:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/PackagingForSolaris

It doesn't mention how to do the packaging bit, but it wouldn't be hard
to create step by step instructions for you with minimal effort.  :)

Sound like a plan?  Will also need someone else with a Solaris 8 SPARC
system to try the packages out too, just in case there are weird library
dependencies happening that might catch us out.

Also, am wondering if learning how to do "cross compiling" instead might
be worthwhile.  Don't yet know anything about it, but it gets mentioned
in a lot of documents.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift