Re: Upgrading rant.

От mlw
Тема Re: Upgrading rant.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:

>I don't think the main issues are with file _formats_ but rather with
>system file structures - AFAIK it is a fundamental design decision
>(arguably a design flaw ;( ) that we use system tables straight from
>page cache via C structure pointers, even though there seems to be a
>layer called "storage Manager" which should hide the on-disk format
>completely.

I don't think that is a big issue, no one is saying the file format
should "change" or be used any differently, just that the structures be
more rigid, and anyone wishing to make a change, had better also have an
upgrade strategy.

Perhaps there could be a review/document phase for 7.4 where the
structures are cleaned up, checked, and perhaps have a couple "reserved"
entries added. (As governed by efficiecy) and have one last "speak now,
or forever hold your peace" and cast them in stone.

I think, as professional standards go, this is probably LONG over due.