Re: [GENERAL] 7.3 Prepared statements

От Barry Lind
Тема Re: [GENERAL] 7.3 Prepared statements
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Charles,

You can have the jdbc driver use stored plans, but that is not the
default behavior.  There is a method on the org.postgresql.PGStatement
object to enable using a stored plans.

It is not the default behavior in 7.3 for the following reasons:

1) The functionality on the server is new and therefore there are
probably a few bugs yet to be found.  I didn't want to destabilize the
overall jdbc driver by relying on new functionality.

2) The implementation on the server will not allow all current uses of
JDBC PreparedStatements to work (i.e. prepared statements that do
multiple sql statements in one call, ususally done to reduce number of
network roundtrips when needing to issue many sql calls at the same time).

3) The current implementation on the server will cause a decrease in
performance if you only use the PreparedStatement once.  Since the
implementation of server side prepared statements requires multiple
roundtrips to prepare, execute and close, there will be more network
traffic and thus decreased performance if the JDBC prepared statement is
only used once.  And my experience is that the vast majority of JDBC
prepared statements are only used once.

4) This is version one of the functionality.  We can learn from it to
understand how it can be improved for 7.4.

thanks,
--Barry