Re: PHP & PostgreSQL

От Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
Тема Re: PHP & PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Boget, Chris wrote:
 cite="mid4040BBE81A9AD411BD27009027887A7C0431BF@tiger.wild.net">

 content="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
  PHP & PostgreSQL
  I'm switching from a MySQL environment to PGSQL and
I'm
  going through and trying to learn the differences
between the
  two.  I've come across some issues that I can't seem
to find the
  answers to in the docs or on the web.  I'm hoping
someone can
  help me out.

I'll try.
 cite="mid4040BBE81A9AD411BD27009027887A7C0431BF@tiger.wild.net">

  * MySQL has a function to reset the result set so
that it can be
  iterated through again - mysql_data_seek().  I don't
see that there
  is a similar function for PGSQL.  Is that true?  If
so, in order to
  reset the result set you have to perform the query
again?  Isn't
  that a waste of resources?

In the PGSQL fetch functions, you usualy pass the row number
as a parameter. So you can iterate through the table as many times
as you want, just create a counter to control the iteration.
 cite="mid4040BBE81A9AD411BD27009027887A7C0431BF@tiger.wild.net">
  * For PGSQL, you can get the database name, the
field name
  even the *host name* but you can't get the table name
from a
  particular query?

I'm afraid that's true, at least I don't know such a function.

But I advise you to try the PEAR DB extension from PHP,
instead of using directly the database functions.

my regards,

--
Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br