Re: 7.3 no longer using indexes for LIKE queries

От Jean-Luc Lachance
Тема Re: 7.3 no longer using indexes for LIKE queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
C_COLLATE is what is involved with accents.

How would you sort:

CÔTE
CÔTES
COTÉ
COTÉS
COTE

You can't fold accented character into non accented because unique index
would barf on CÔTE if COTE is already in.

You still need to know if 'CÔTE' < 'COTÉ' or not when you do a sort.

Collating in french, for example, is not a byte to byte compare.

If you compare words based only on their binary representation, the sort
will be wrong
CRIME before CÔTE.

JLL