Re: Redhat 8 default database warning: JDBC problems

От Fernando Nasser
Тема Re: Redhat 8 default database warning: JDBC problems
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Dennis King wrote:
> Sorry to keep this slogging through, but one last clarification: I
> was only using the PostgreSQL source distribution after being unable
> to get Red Hat Database working because of the GCJ issue. Once that
> failed, I reinstalled the OS without RHDB; apparently GCJ wasn't
> included. Perhaps the opportunity for conflict also exists with a
> postgresql.org source download if you have GCJ installed, but that
> wasn't the origin of my problem.

Hi Dennis,

I am not sure I understood the above completely, but yes, the same
problem would occur with the postgresql.org download.  The problem is
gij providing the java command in /usr/bin ahead of the Sun or IBM JRE,
so it independs on what distribution of postgresql you are using.

In any case, I told the GNU Java folks that this is happening.
However, we all think that the correct way of adding new packages is to
add their path to the front of the current path, not like you say it was
suggested by Sun's documentation.  Imagine an IBM machine which will
probably have the IBM JRE in the PATH?  The same problem will happen.
Also, if your sysadmin had a Sun JRE 1.3 added to the default PATH and
you wanted to use the 1.4 one?  Same problem.

The usual way of doing this would be:

export PATH=<new package bin dir>:$PATH

Maybe the Linux documentation should have a special section about Java
and the possible ways of finding it and the correct way of installing
them (including how to have more than one installed on the same system).
I will talk to some people and see if someone can implement your
suggestion of documenting the issue.

Best regards,
Fernando

--