Re: PostgreSQL compilation with custom table name

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: PostgreSQL compilation with custom table name
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 22 Nov 2002 at 10:04, Henry Pedask wrote:

> Why I couldn't see it myself? Stupid!
> Maybe it's because about a week ago I knew nothing about compiling linux software, and a month ago I knew almost
nothingabout linux.
> So I'm total newbie.

Well, this might save you some reading.. Somethings you may know some may not..

Following are frequently used make targets for software packaegs that use
autoconf/automake for package builiding

1) clean: Removes all object files and any compiled binaries. It makes sure
that any build afterwards is "from the scratch" and without any stale objects
in it. Always recommended before installing on production machine

2)distclean: Just like clean but it removes makefiles too. You have to do a
./configure again. If you have changed the Makefile.am around, this is the way
to go

3install: Installs the compiled software. If no, software is compiled, it will
compile first and install later. so a make clean;make install would work as
expected.

4)uninstall: Uninstalls the package previously installed by "make install" Note
that you shouldn't have done ./configure in between install and uninstall. That
might mess up with installation target..

If you plan to use uninstall, check chekinstall. It creates debs/rpms/tgzs
before actually installing. So package maintenance becomes pretty easy.

And lastly, just issuing "make" would compile the software to bring it upto
date..

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
"[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what Ithought of
it.  (The response was, 'Perhaps you could try to be lessabusive.')"(By Matt