Re: Trees: maintaining pathnames

От Dan Langille
Тема Re: Trees: maintaining pathnames
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 17 Nov 2002 at 14:51, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Dan,
>
> > My existing tree implementation reflects the files contained on disk.
> >  The
> > full pathname to a particlar file is obtained from the path to the
> > parent
> > directory.  I am now considering putting this information into a
> > field in
> > the table.
> <snip>
> > Suggestions, comment, open ridicule, most welcome.  thanks.
>
> This is a fine implementation using the adjacency list model of tree
> design.  However, I think you may find that the string-based tree
> implementation in /contrib/ltree is more suited to your purposes, and
> easier to maintain.

That looks interesting.  I have installed that onto a test server and
I'm playing around with it.[1]  The contrib/ltree project implements
a tree via text parsing.  Below I show the test data it created.

For my usage, I'm not sure I need it.  I have implemented the
"Adjacency List" tree implementation (that's what I've been told).
In short, my tree contains three basic fields: id, name, parent_id.

Given that I'm considering adding a new field path_name to the tree,
I can't see the ltree package will give me anything more than I can
get from like. My main reason for adding path_name was doing queries
such as:
  select * from tree where path_name like '/path/to/parent/%'

which will return me all the descendants of a give node (in this case
'/path/to/parent/'.[2]

I have discussed [offlist] the option of using a secondary table to
store the pathname (i.e. a cach table) which would be updated using a
loop in the tigger instead of using cascading triggers.  I would
prefer to keep the pathname in the same table.

In my application, I have about 120,000 nodes in the tree.  I am
using PL/pgSQL quite a lot.  Perhaps moving the triggers to C at a
later date may provide a speed increase if the tree expands
considerably.

Also, it is noted that those triggers set the pathname twice, once in
the before, and once in the after trigger.  I'll try to optimize that
for a future "release".

ltreetest=# \d List of relationsName | Type  | Owner
------+-------+-------test | table | dan
(1 row)

ltreetest=# select * from test;                    path

-----------------------------------------------TopTop.ScienceTop.Science.AstronomyTop.Science.Astronomy.AstrophysicsTop.Science.Astronomy.CosmologyTop.HobbiesTop.Hobbies.Amateurs_AstronomyTop.CollectionsTop.Collections.PicturesTop.Collections.Pictures.AstronomyTop.Collections.Pictures.Astronomy.StarsTop.Collections.Pictures.Astronomy.GalaxiesTop.Collections.Pictures.Astronomy.Astronauts
(13 rows)

[1] - For other following on, I had to do the following:

- downloaded the 7.2 version of the code from
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/

- installed using gmake not make
- grabbed the sample file from
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-
server/contrib/ltree/ltreetest.sql

[2] - My application involves mirroring a file system (directories
and files).  FWIW, in this instances, files are not renamed, they are
deleted and recreated elsewhere.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Drop NOT NULL constraint !!!