Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?

От Graeme B. Bell
Тема Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
1. Does the sammy nvme have *complete* power loss protection though, for all fsync'd data?
I am very badly burned by my experiences with Crucial SSDs and their 'power loss protection' which doesn't actually
ensureall fsync'd data gets into flash.
It certainly looks pretty with all those capacitors on top in the photos, but we need some plug pull tests to be sure.

2. Apologies for the typo in the previous post, raidz5 should have been raidz1.

3. Also, something to think about when you start having single disk solutions (or non-ZFS raid, for that matter).

SSDs are so unlike HDDs.

The samsung nvme has a UBER (uncorrectable bit error rate) measured at 1 in 10^17. That's one bit gone bad in 12500 TB,
agood number.  Chances are the drives fails before you hit a bit error, and if not, ZFS would catch it.

Whereas current HDDS are at the 1 in 10^14 level. That means an error every 12TB, by the specs. That means, every time
youfill your cheap 6-8TB seagate drive, it likely corrupted some of your data *even if it performed according to the
spec*.(That's also why RAID5 isn't viable for rebuilding large arrays, incidentally).

Graeme Bell