Re: timezone locale fun

От markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk
Тема Re: timezone locale fun
Дата
Список pgsql-general
TJ wrote:

> I'm making a SWAG that my only real solution is to store both the
> local timestamp (uncorrected) *and* the (standard) UTC timestamp from
> my clients.  This way, I can safely calc the endurance using one
> column, and report the endpoints using another column.
>
> Anyone see any holes in this?  Any other good suggestions that don't
> require absurd amounts of complexity?

Yeah- this sort of thing /is/ fun, isn't it? :-) Frankly I don't think
that there's a "correct" solution (look as the vituperation surrounding
MS timezone handling) and the more info you store when the data is saved
the better since that gives you the option of going back and re-running
reports if somebody tells you the goalposts have moved. I store all data
in GMT with info in each record so that it's traceable, gross timezones
can obviously be handled easily in the query but the final application
of DST correction is handled in the client apps (written in Delphi but
using embedded scripting and interpolation).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]