Re: contrib/fixchar (Was: Large databases, performance)

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: contrib/fixchar (Was: Large databases, performance)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 10 Oct 2002 at 15:30, Manfred Koizar wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 10:00:03 +0200, I wrote:
> >here is an implementation of a set of user types: char3, char4,
> >char10.
>
> New version available.  As I don't want to spam the list with various
> versions until I get it right eventually, you can get it from
> http://members.aon.at/pivot/pg/fixchar20021010.tgz if you are
> interested.
>
> What's new:
>
> . README updated (per Shridhar's suggestion)
> . doesn't crash on NULL (p. Tom)
> . version-1 calling conventions (p. Tom)
> . isCachable (p. Tom)
> . works for 7.2 (as delivered) and for 7.3 (make for73)
>
> Shridhar, you were concerned about signed/unsigned chars;  looking at
> the code I can not see how this is a problem.  So no change in this
> regard.

Well, this is not related to postgresql exactly but to summerise the problem,
with libc patch PHCO_19090 or compatible upwards, on HP-UX11, isspace does not
work correctly if input value is >127. Can cause lot of problem for an external
app. It works fine with unsigned char

Does not make a difference from postgrersql point of view but would break non-
english locale if they want to use this fix under some situation.

But I agree, unless somebody reports it, no point fixing it and we know the fix
anyway..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Live long and prosper.        -- Spock, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7