Re: [GENERAL] Large databases, performance

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Large databases, performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 9 Oct 2002 at 10:00, Manfred Koizar wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:07:29 +0530, "Shridhar Daithankar"
> <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> wrote:
> >Only worry is database size. Postgresql is 111GB v/s 87 GB for mysql.
>
> Shridhar,
>
> here is an implementation of a set of user types: char3, char4,
> char10.  Put the attached files into a new directory contrib/fixchar,
> make, make install, and run fixchar.sql through psql.  Then create
> your table as

I had a quick look in things. I think it's a great learning material for pg
internals..;-)

I have a suggestion. In README, it should be worth mentioning that, new types
can be added just by changin Makefile. e.g. Changing line

OBJS = char3.o char4.o char10.o

OBJS = char3.o char4.o char5.o char10.o

would add the datatype char5 as well.

Obviously this is for those who might not take efforts to read the source. (
Personally I wouldn't have, had it been part of entire postgres source dump.
Just would have done ./configure;make;make install)

Thanks for the solution. It wouldn't have occurred to me in ages to create a
type for this. I guess that's partly because never used postgresql beyond
select/insert/update/delete. Anyway should have been awake..

Thanks once again

Bye
 Shridhar

--
But it's real.  And if it's real it can be affected ...  we may not be ableto
break it, but, I'll bet you credits to Navy Beans we can put a dent in it.        --

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Large databases, performance
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Large databases, performance