Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 28 Sep 2002 at 17:08, Justin Clift wrote:

> Have moved the indexes to another drive, then created symlinks to them.
> Ran a benchmark against the database, REINDEX'd the tables, VACUUM FULL
> ANALYZE'd, prepared to re-run the benchmark again and guess what?
>
> The indexes were back on the original drive.
> Is there a way to allow REINDEX to work without having this side affect?
>
> Pre-creating a bunch of dangling symlinks doesn't work (tried that, it
> gives a "ERROR:  cannot create accounts_pkey: File exists" on FreeBSD
> 4.6.2 when using the REINDEX).

Looks like we should have a subdirectory in database directory which stores

May be transaction logs, indexes goes in separte directory which can be
symlinked. Linking a directory is much simpler solution than linking a file.

I suggest we have per database transaction log and indexes created in separate
subdirectories for each database. Furhter given that large tables are segmented
after one GB size, a table should have it's own subdirectory optionally..

At the cost of few inodes, postgresql would gain much more flexibility and
hence tunability..

May be TODO for 7.4? Anyone?

ByeShridhar

--
Software, n.:    Formal evening attire for female computer analysts.