Re: cascade problems

От Dmitry Tkach
Тема Re: cascade problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
It is the other way around - your transactin table is referencing organization. That means, that for every
organ_person_idvalue in
transaction there must be a match in organization - if you "delete from organization where organ_person_id=15;" THEN
allthe rows
from the transaction, having 15 in organ_person_id will be gone as well.That makes sense - if an organization no longer
exists,then
all the transactions it used to own become invalid and get deleted.

And what you are doing, is just removing the transactions, you would need to have a constraint going the other way to
propagate
this delete to the organization (i.e. organization.organ_person_id should reference the transaction), but to do that,
youwould have
to make organ_person_id in transaction unique...

Another way is to create an 'on delete' rule for the transaction table, to remove matching rows from organization as
well...
But are you sure this is really the behaviour you want (unlike the transaction->organization relationship, described in
the
beginning, this one does not make much sense to me)?

I hope, it helps...

Dima